pomegranate molasses

Last week I had never actually seen pomegranate molasses-- in a jar, bottle, or on food. I've learned (from reading Bon Appetit magazine) that pomegranate molasses is a middle eastern ingredient and condiment. And it's the trap door to a recipe I've had clipped out for more than a year: lamb kofte (meatballs) with some impressive-sounding spiced sauces. (Recipe and post forthcoming!)

Today, in the early bird hours at Fresh Market, I started the hunt for this ingredient, and failed miserably. Oils and vinegars? No. International? No. Molasses (surely there)? No. Refrigerated? No. BBQ and mustards? No no no.

I google from the aisles and discover that pomegranate molasses is also known as pomegranate syrup and is supposedly easy to make. Pomegranate juice, sugar, lemon juice. Sounds simple enough.



Only because it was Saturday, then, I undertook blindly to make my own pomegranate molasses.  I have no idea if the result was authentic, but it worked.  It was pretty easy.  And pretty tasty.  It wouldn't be bad over ice cream, either.  The recipe follows.
Pomegranate Molasses
Adapted from Alton Brown

1c unsweetened pomegranate juice
1/8c sugar
3t lemon juice

Cook in a small saucepan over medium heat to dissolve sugar, then reduce heat and cook until reduces to a thick syrup, about an hour.  Cool, then transfer to a bowl, cover, and refrigerate until ready to use.

(Note:  I think if you shortened the reduction time on this, to make a lighter syrup, this would be a fun addition to creative cocktails! )


Comments