lifesaver overnight oatmeal

I've been shouting it from the rooftops everywhere but here:  overnight oatmeal.  It sounds boring and basic, but it's a weekday lifesaver with two basic ingredients.  And, in the crock pot, it's easier than you could possibly imagine.



Maybe I should back up.  I have never been a weekday breakfast eater.  I'm not, my dad isn't, and my grandfather wasn't.  I routinely skip breakfast and I'm not proud of it.  But, because on busy days I sometimes also skip lunch, the situation is untenable.  (Being a human being and all, it's important to eat more than one meal per day.)  I decided breakfast is under my control even when the work day takes over my lunch hour.  Time to change those inherited, bad breakfast habits.


Meanwhile, Pinterest was yelling at me:  overnight oats! crockpot oatmeal!  steel cut is good for youl! make your own almond butter!  I conceded:  it was time to try making oatmeal in the slow cooker overnight.  And eating it for breakfast.

There's something to it after all:  easy, healthful, minimal morning effort.  Minimal effort period.  1 cup oats, 3 1/2 cups of milk and water combo (the ratio and type of milk you use is completely flexible).  Crock pot.  You don't even have to stir.

In the morning, I spoon a heaping serving into a tupperware container and pile on toppings.  It's still warm when I sit down to my desk to check emails and-- finally-- eat breakfast. Of course, you don't have to wait.  If your schedule permits, celebrate the world's easiest breakfast by eating it at your kitchen table with a cup of coffee and your favorite daytime television.  By all means, enjoy!

This simple recipe has changed my daily life completely and so much for the better.  I'm caring for myself, and that's something worth shouting about.  The recipe follows.


Lifesaver Overnight Oatmeal

1 cup steel cut oats
2 1/2 cups whole milk or almond milk
1 cup water

Pour ingredients into slow cooker with a timer the night before.  When it's time to go to bed, start the timer to cook for 4 1/2 hours on low, then allow to sit on "keep warm" setting the rest of the night until morning.

To serve, top with your favorite enhancements:  brown sugar, almond butter, peanut butter, fresh fruit, dried fruit, cinnamon, or nuts.

I recommend waiting to add any sugar or other enhancements until after it is cooked and ready; otherwise you risk burning the mixture in the crock pot (sugar can scorch when you are sleeping and not stirring) or overcooking and disturbing the textures of your favorite toppings.

Makes 4 breakfast-size portions.

Some of our favorite combinations:
  1. Stir in 2 teaspoons almond butter, sliced fresh peaches, handful dried cranberries 
  2. Top with sliced bananas and blueberries
  3. Stir in brown sugar and fresh raspberries
  4. Stir in cinnamon and dried apple pieces
Please share your favorite toppings, too!









Comments