vegan pumpkin pecan bread

"Love people.  Cook them tasty food."



I didn't think a bumper sticker could capture my life philosophy, but there it is.  I spotted it on a Prius at the grocery store buying a can of pumpkin for this recipe.  (The beauty of it, as with many vegan recipes, is that you probably have almost everything you need in your pantry already.)

I love cooking for the people I love.  And I have a dear, dear friend who loves all things pumpkin.  She's not vegan, but she can't eat soy or dairy because her little 4-month-old is likely allergic.  All the more reason to share a delicious bread that she can enjoy this season (her favorite season).   She also, coincidentally, introduced me to Penzey's Spices, which I suspect is the source of that darling sticker that will likely be finding a home on my car's bumper soon.

 




Now, I know some folks on a dairy-free diet can eat eggs and butter, but I don't know the rules on that, so I'm playing it safe and leaving out all animal products (= vegan).  This recipe for pumpkin pecan bread is totally vegan, fat free, and plenty tasty.  And it's very adaptable if you prefer to leave out the pecans, replace them with walnuts, or substitute chocolate chips (for heaven's sake, yes, do it). 

Here's another thing I've learned from practicing recipes intended for restricted diets.  Vegan baking is perfect for baking with kids.  There's no cross-contamination or raw egg to worry about.  It's easy, it's healthy, and it's fun.  I think everyone will enjoy this seasonal recipe that's friendly for all ages.  Happy Halloween. The recipe follows.


Vegan Pumpkin Pecan Bread
Adapted from Joy The Baker and Happy Herbivore

1/4 cup almond or soy milk (such as my favorite, Almond Breeze unsweetened vanilla almond milk)
1/4 teaspoon lemon juice
1 15-oz can organic pumpkin
1 cup brown sugar
3 tablespoons pure maple syrup
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 cups whole wheat flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon cloves, all spice, or ginger (I like ginger)
1/2 cup chopped pecans

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.  Prepare a loaf pan with cooking spray.  

In a small bowl, whisk together almond milk and lemon juice, and set aside.  Next, in a medium bowl, whisk together pumpkin, sugar, maple syrup, and vanilla until it is very well combined.  Stir in almond milk mixture. 

In a large mixing bowl, sift together whole wheat flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, and spices.  Add wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and stir just until combined, using a spatula to scrape down the sides of the bowl.  Fold in the pecan pieces.

Spread into the prepared loaf pan and smooth the top so it is evenly distributed.  Tent a piece of foil over the loaf pan and bake for 30 minutes, then remove the foil to bake for another 40 minutes.  (The total baking time is 1 hour and 10 minutes.)

Be patient and let cool completely before turning out of pan, slicing, and serving. 

I'm pretty sure this would be great with some honey-cinnamon butter or some cream cheese frosting, if you were so inclined.


Comments