deck the halls

It's our first Christmas in the Little Blue House!  We are decking the halls, awkwardly and on a budget.  I'm happy to introduce you to Huxon, our scraggly Christmas tree, selected mid-tantrum and named with affection by our boys.




Of all the boxes that survived the move and the decluttering purge earlier this year, our box of ornaments somehow didn't make it.  So we grabbed a few fun farm-themed decorations at Target, some new stockings, and of course the pink pig that DID make it to Bahama and now lives on our deck.


The question of course, through which chimney will Santa arrive?  The subject of much debate in our house, especially since I feel completely torn between lying to my kids and embracing the holiday spirit.  I've been dancing around the issue, but Kevin is ready to go all-in on Santa this year. Regardless, it will be a very simple and cozy week together (with fingers crossed for mild weather). 


Did you catch a glimpse of the new rug in the living room?  I super love it.  I bought a smaller version from Urban Outfitters for the attic, in an attempt to make the space somewhat useable as an office, and I found it would work well in the living room.  I located a huge version on Overstock for $300.  It's faded for a fake vintage look, which works just fine for us, and the colors are perfect for bringing together green on the walls, blue from the house, wood tones, brick from the fireplace, and terracotta from the kitchen nearby.  It's soft and lies flat and I'm so pleased with it! 

We also made a couple of updates in the boys' room.  A broken art frame forced me to finally dig through the other framed art options we brought over from the white house, and they look really cute.  The bunny strategically covers the old rotary phone jack-- less charming after a few months of looking at it. 


There are now house plants popping up in every single room, too, since I'm completely obsessed with low-maintenance mail-order plants from The Sill.  I don't really buy that they clean the air, but they DO make me happy and make each space feel a little more naturally and intentionally designed.

Lastly, we can't forget the spectacular winter sunsets we've enjoyed fireside already this year.  Full moons and constellations are much easier to see just a few steps off our deck.  Even after a busy day I can soak in a few moments of humility out there. Tis the season.






Comments