a new face

We have a front door!

It feels like a huge breath of fresh air.  So many of the renovation efforts on the house so far have been for remediation, or permitting, or demo, all very unsatisfying, and it's incredibly refreshing to see a visible step forward.  And more than that, this feels like a step toward making it ours


Adding a front door to this side of the house was a big moment of inspiration for us, and I was so confident in selecting the door I wanted.  Seeing it in place makes me feel more comfortable with the potential we see in the house and a little more certain that it will feel like home. 

I knew I wanted a natural wood (or wood-look) door with lots of glass to let light into the new entryway and living room area.  A few square panels in the glass would be fine, but it turns out those are harder to get just right when using fiberglass instead of wood.  I opted for a factory finish from Reeb in Rustic Clay to match the brick and wood around the house and crossed my fingers.  When I saw it yesterday, it was perfect!  The color coordinates well with those other materials and the scale of the glass lines up beautifully with the surrounding windows.  When it's trimmed up and our gorgeous black handleset added, it will be even better.




There have been a lot of emotions these last couple of weeks as we prepare to move into a house that's otherwise a complete wreck and still don't have water.  We are wringing our hands and losing sleep.  But we celebrate seeing this fresh face on a tiring project, which reminds us where we are going.

A picnic lunch under the maple tree with a dear friend doesn't hurt either.  I have the best friends.

Lastly I'll show you a close up, with wet cement, of the front stoop that will welcome you when you visit, laid with stones from the original foundation 200 years ago... 

I won't give up on you, little blue house.


Comments