bathroom design

If you squint really hard, you can almost see a bathroom...

These photos were taken on April 10, and they've actually made more progress since then framing up the shower with a seat and a niche, adding HVAC, adding a pan for the shower, and wiring for vanity lights, etc.  In fact, all of the plumbing passed inspection on April 30 and our rough-ins were officially complete.  (Yay! On to phase 2 of the reno contract.)

Instead of using the full 4'x8' space at the back of the room for the shower, we shortened the footprint a little to 4'x6' and will use the extra space (on the right) for open shelving.  Everyone agreed with with just one showerhead, 4'x8' was going to feel a little silly!  And we seriously don't need two showerheads in a tiny house.






I wanted to post these pictures to remember what the early stages of the bath looked like.  Already they have cleaned up all this junk and put in insulation.  (Subfloors and sheetrock next!)  When I balanced on floor joists to walk in, it was helpful to see and start to visualize that space and imagine our finishes.

I'm a design newbie, but when I see something I like I can hone in on it and try to refine it.  Pinterest helps with that, and I've posted a million pictures on my bathroom pinterest board. And I'm adding tons of links below to offer some visuals.

The overall mood?  White shiplap, concrete, brass, natural wood, hexagon tile, the works.  I want to be bold in design choices but have a restful, calming, bright space that feels comfortable in an otherwise rustic house.

So let's walk through it together... coming in to the bath from the hallway to the master suite, imagine white shiplap along the walls to the right and left, overall like this.  Any other wall space will be warm gray (SW Agreeable Gray).  There will be a transom window on the right, and we can have brass hooks below to hang towels.  (We use a million towels.)  On the left will be a linen closet and a double vanity.  Along the back of the wall will be the shower.

For the floors everywhere, I chose Matte gray 10” hexagon tile with warm gray grout.  On the walls in the shower, White subway tile shower walls (1/2 offset), same gray floors, and the same warm gray grout.  In the shower we've asked for a Large shower niche and a Small corner seat with marble or concrete top.  We chose a timeless Chrome shower trim from Moen.

Since the shower won't take up the entire back wall, we've asked for shelving in that 2 feet of space.  So picture some Natural wood shelves to the right of the shower.

For the vanity, I get a little uncomfortable because I don't know what I'm doing!  But I'm picturing a 72” unfinished oak wood vanity with brass hex knobs and drawer pulls.  I probably can't afford a white oak vanity, but even an unfinished builder grade I think will help warm up all the white and gray in the room.  (We will see!) 

Going bold in the design again, I want to try Concrete countertop and white undermount sinks to tie in to the floor tile and the unpolished feel of being on the farm.  Marble seems ludicrous. I bought coordinating Moen Widespread chrome faucets on sale from Wayfair.

Over the vanity, we'll add some more of the brass features with a vintage-style mirror and industrial brass bath light over each sink.

Whew!  It seems so far away still but I'm proud of myself for going for it exactly the way I want.  We'll see what's possible when we round the next corner and start adding pretty things in the frame.

Comments